The Team Travel Source Top 10 Workout Songs
Summer is here, and although you may have already taken your annual trip to the beach, it’s never too late to whip that dad bod back into its pre-pandemic shape!
Creating the perfect workout playlist may just be the motivation you need to get off the couch and back in the gym. We all know a good tune can combat a bad mood or even help you focus. Did you also know there is scientific research that proves that music, specifically high-tempo, high-intensity music, can actually boost workout performance AND motivate you to exercise longer?
I’m here to lend some suggestions on tunes that never fail to pump me up for a good old fashioned sweat session. Take ‘em or leave ‘em, but my bet is that you’ll be ready to propel out of your recliner onto the treadmill after the first few beats. Without further ado, and in no particular order, read on for my top 10 workout songs:
- Eye of the Tiger (Survivor, 1982) – Maybe it’s my intense passion for all things LSU Athletics (Geaux Tigers!), or maybe it’s the lyrics that make me feel a certain way (“Rising up, straight to the top, had the guts, got the glory.”) Regardless, this song is 40 years old and never fails to elicit a fist pump and the energy to scorch another hundred calories.
- Satisfaction (Benny Benassi, 2002) – Even if electro house music isn’t your typical genre of choice, I dare you to flip this one on and try not to move. Even better? The lyrics “Push me” are repeating constantly in the background as a reminder that you can do more.
- Bring Em Out (T.I., 2004) – This song just makes me feel like a bada$$, whether I’m actually working out, or just driving to the office or even unloading the dishwasher (lots of early 2000s hip hop songs have this effect on me). Crank it up on your headphones during your next workout and watch the magic happen.
- Paint It Black (The Rolling Stones, 1966) – What a perfect tune for cardio days – whether you’re jogging, stair-stepping, cycling or prancer-cizing, the rhythm and consistent beat of this classic won’t let you slow down.
- Survivor (Destiny’s Child, 2001) – 20+ years later and this song still has me all pumped up on Girl Power! It’s all about working harder, staying strong and surviving whatever life throws at you (plus, when Bey talks, we all listen).
- Thunderstruck (AC/DC, 1990) – How can this iconic jam NOT get your blood pumping? For me, it’s the extended guitar intro that creates such anticipation that I just can’t wait to get moving; hopefully this one lights a fire under you too!
- Get Right (Jennifer Lopez, 2005) – This is THE song that will motivate me to squat and crunch until my abs and backside look like J. Lo’s. If she can look like that at 52, you can too…let’s goooooo!
- The Business (Tiesto, 2020) – This is a more recent addition to my favorite tunes for a nice, hearty sweat date with myself. The catchy beat and lyrics (“Let’s get down, let’s get down to business”) remind me to take care of business in the gym and get on with my day.
- Be Like That (Kane Brown ft. Swae Lee & Khalid, 2020) – Here’s one of my favorite songs from the past couple years: it’s just plain FUN. Crank this one up and get ready for a FUN workout.
- Country Grammar (Nelly, 2000) – This song debuted my senior year of high school, when I like to say I peaked athletically. 20+ years later, and this hit takes me back to a time when a long run or heavy lift didn’t sideline me for a week.
My hope is that this list inspires you to get back on the exercise wagon (if you bounced off a few miles ago) or to just shake up your current playlist (if you’re already a devoted gym rat). Exercise benefits us ALL and even just a few minutes a day can have huge, POSITIVE health impacts. Take a listen and let me know how it goes!